Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pork Medallions with Cherry Sauce (BH&G)


A few weeks ago I picked up a magazine that I spotted while checking out at the grocery store.  I don't normally do this, but this Better Homes and Gardens special caught my eye.  It's titled, 'garden fresh recipes'.  Since we have a garden this year, I decided I could use some inspiration on how to cook some new recipes.  So far, I've not been disappointed.   The magazine is on display until August 16, so if you want one, go get it!

For some reason the picture won't rotate in blogger, but this is what the cover looks like.
This pork dish uses cherries, which are not from our garden, but they are fresh, so I enjoyed using some summery goodness for our dinner.  Everyone loved it!  And the girls were so excited to eat cherries for dinner!


Recipe:
1 pound pork tenderloin (I used half of a pork loin, so my directions reflect that size cut)
salt and freshly ground pepper
oil
3/4 cup cranberry, cherry or apple juice
2 teaspoons honey dijon mustard
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup fresh sweet cherries, halved and pitted

Cut pork into 1-inch slices. 



Cut those slices in half to achieve a medallion size. 



Place slices between two sheets of saran wrap.  Use the flat side of a meat mallet to pound each slice to a 1/2-inch thickness.  


Before pounding

After pounding


Sprinkle pork lightly with salt and pepper. Coat a large nonstick skillet with oil.  Heat skillet over medium-high heat.  Add pork.



Cook for about 6 minutes, until pork is slightly pink in center and juices run clear.  



Transfer to a platter and cover with foil.

In a small bowl stir together juice, mustard, and cornstarch.  Add to same skillet.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. 

 Add cherries; cook and stir for about 4 more minutes.  

Pour cherry sauce over pork.  


Source:  Recipe slightly altered from Better Homes and Gardens, garden fresh recipes, 2011

4 comments:

  1. That sounds divine! I really need to make this recipe. I haven't prepared pork in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I would never have thought to use the cherries with pork. Thanks for sharing. I'm always tempted by those mags at the check out line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious and so does that pie! I need to bookmark these recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this for dinner tonight and it was fabulous! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!