Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Onions



If you've never cooked with chicken thighs, you need to!  They are less expensive than chicken breasts and have a great flavor.  This recipe turned out really well, and I know we'll be making it again.  My initial desire was to try this recipe, but I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, so I had to settle for a less fattening one.   Don't let the caramelized onions scare you away; they are super easy to make.

Recipe:
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large pan over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place in melted butter.



Cook 5-6 minutes, turning once to brown.  Remove chicken from pan.

Reduce heat to medium-low.  Melt 3 tablespoons butter and then add 3 onions, sliced very thin.


Cook onions about 20 minutes, until golden brown.

In a small bowl, combine 1 cup chicken broth, 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 2 garlic cloves, minced.  Pour over onions.  Place chicken in onions.


Cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.

This is delicious served with Baked Brown Rice

Source: Recipe adapted from Cooking Club of America

4 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I am a fan of carmelized onions now!! You do need to try the recipe with the gruyere at some point since you like it so much, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I know I have always thought I needed to buy chicken thighs b/c they are always on sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks great! Can't wait to try it!

    Tiffany {Living Savvy}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am for sure gonna have to try this! Come see a vintage room. Love the ingredients used for the onions too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!