Thursday, July 28, 2011

Baked Brown Rice



Rice is a staple in our household, but I always like to try new ways to make it.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to give brown rice a try.  Brown rice hasn't been on the top of my 'recipes to try' list, but I was pretty confident it would be a health benefit to my family.  Did you know that brown rice contains more nutrients than white, like fiber and magnesium?  There's an interesting write-up I found as I was searching for ways to convince you all to really give this recipe a try (ha!) so here's the link if you want some scientific and nutritional convincing!

The only convincing I need to make this again is the fact that my family couldn't get enough of it!  The girls kept asking for more!  And what's even better?  Once in the oven, you don't have to think about this anymore.  Have you ever made rice and had to keep checking it to make sure it was cooked all the way, or not overcooked?  Don't have to worry about that if you make this.  Trust me and give it a try.  It's really quite tasty with the Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Onions.

Recipe:
1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375F.  Place rice in a greased 8x8-inch baking dish.  Bring water, butter and salt to a boil in a small pan.  Pour boiling mixture over rice and stir.  Cover tightly with aluminum foil.  Bake for 1 hour.  Fluff with a fork and then serve.

source:  Food Network

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of sticking rice in the oven and not worrying about it! Last night we were playing scrabble and I had to keep getting up to check on the rice on the stove = NOT fun.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!