Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Classic: Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Salad

Can I have a blog about cooking from scratch without posting a recipe of this classic summer salad?!  Absolutely not!  I have always loved this salad, 
via Simply Recipes

but one thing that wasn't quite right for me was the fact that I had to cut every bite in order to enjoy it, which meant more time before it actually hit my taste buds.  Solution: chop it all up before serving!  The best part of this recipe is really in the dressing, so be sure to read the whole post, or at least scroll to the bottom, for the best balsamic vinaigrette ever!

Gather four tomatoes, one ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, and 12 basil leaves.


 Dice the tomatoes.  Cut the cheese into bite size chunks, and slice the basil into thin strips.  Mix together in a bowl.  Top with dressing (recipe below), enough to coat the mixture, but not make it soggy.


This is my absolute favorite dressing for balsamic vinaigrette.  I always use it for this salad, but it's also great drizzled on sliced avocados, or on a garden salad.  I can't take credit, though, my sweet friend Evyn, gave it to me a few years ago.  

Dressing:
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Combine water, vinegar, sugar, and flour. Using a deep bowl, microwave 4-5 minutes until thickened. Stir. Pour into food processor and add mustard, salt, pepper, and onion. With machine running, slowly pour in oil. Process for 30 seconds. Chill. Makes
about 2.5 cups.



3 comments:

  1. I woke up this morning thinking I needed to use basil in a recipe b/c I have so much growing in my garden. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds delicious! I'm glad to have the recipe for your dressing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm YUMMY! Your photos are great! That is my favorite summer salad too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!