Monday, July 25, 2011

$6 Knock off Pottery Barn Chandelier

Shopping at thrift stores is becoming a habit of mine, and I'm finding that in order to find something I can use, I need to do it on a regular basis.  During my last shopping trip to Goodwill, I found six small lamp shades, perfect for my dining room light fixture!  I mentioned in a previous post, which you can find here, that I was looking at several different options to change these shades up to fit the room.  The burlap shades won, so here is my new knock-off chandelier:



And, the inspiration:

source


Here's how I did it:

Supplies:
burlap
adhesive spray
burlap trim
hot glue gun and glue sticks
scissors

First, I cut the burlap in a curved shape, following the shape of the shade.  Because of the slant of the shade, this made the application much easier than simply cutting in a straight line.



Then, starting at the original seam, I sprayed a bit of adhesive spray and then placed the burlap on top, smoothing out the fabric.



I continued spraying, placing and smoothing, until I reached the starting point.



I then cut the excess fabric off right at the top and bottom edges of the shade, so that my trim would lie exactly on the edges. 



Next, I folded over the burlap (to hide the cut edge) and using my hot glue gun, placed a thin line of hot glue to hold the end in place.


Using the hot glue gun again, I attached the burlap trim around the top and bottom edges, pressing down after each application so that the trim would be straight.



I allowed it to dry for a few hours before attaching the shades to the bulbs.

The look is perfect for what I wanted and I'm thrilled that I now have a 'new' chandelier for only $6!

I'll be linking this up to these parties this week:

Between Naps on the Porch
Southern Hospitality
Home Stories A to Z

The burlap, trim, glue, and adhesive spray I already had on hand, so my only cost at this time was $6 for the shades.

12 comments:

  1. They look great! And it's amazing that a chandelier makeover only cost you $6!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! Love the burlap!! What a wonderful way to update your light fixture!!

    Can't wait to read more of your blog! The pork recipe below looks so yummy!!

    Tiffany {living savvy}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your light fixture, I am looking for a similar one. The best decor is the redone repurposed stuff that is one of a kind. can't wait to read more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out so pretty! Love the look and the price!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic look at a fantastic price - good job! Thanks for sharing,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chandelier looks great! I hadn't been the biggest fan of the burlap, but it really looks good in your picture. I bet it looks nice with your chair covers, too- very complementary. I'm eager to get back to your house to see all of your projects in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. NICE, Lauren! These look great! I'm so proud of you! Nice photo, too, with the beautiful picture over the fireplace in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! They look awesome, would love to see them lit up as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looks great! Sure saved you a lot of money!

    Becca
    http://blondeslogic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how your chandy came out. I picked one up at a garage sale to resell at the store, but it is missing a lampshade. Great idea to recover them with burlap. Thanks for the idea. Newest follower.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bet this gets featured on some blogs this week- super cute idea!
    :) crafty texas girls

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great. I love finding just what I need at a thrift store. Love the color of the chandy too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!