Thursday, July 14, 2011

Paula Deen's Baked French Toast Casserole


 

Knowing that this recipe comes from Paula Deen, do you even have to wonder at its goodness?  Simple, delicious, buttery, and sweet.

Recipe:
1 loaf French bread
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk (I used 1 1/2 cups of half-and-half and 1 1/2 cups milk)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Praline Topping (recipe below)
Syrup

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch thick each.  Arrange slices in two layers, in a generously greased 13x9-inch baking pan, overlapping the slices.  In a large bowl, using a wire whisk, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and dash of salt.  Once combined, pour over bread slices, making sure that each slice is covered by the egg mixture.  Cover with with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the top and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden.  Serve with syrup (and butter if you must).

Praline Topping:
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup (I used dark and it was fine)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Soften butter in microwave for 20-30 seconds (you don't want it melted).  Mix all ingredients together and combine well.

*I made the praline topping the night before, placed it in a covered, microwaveable bowl, and simply heated for 30 seconds in the microwave before spreading on top.   This made it easier to spread. 


Source: Paula Deen, Food Network

3 comments:

  1. I mean really I think it should be illegal to have the words "french toast" and "casserole" in the same sentence. This looks too good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM-O!!! Now I want us to have some overnight guests so I have an excuse to make this French toast casserole and the crock pot breakfast casserole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks great - sweet and filling!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!