Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

Today was my husband's turn to bring breakfast for the weekly men's Bible study he attends at our church.  They meet at 6AM, so I was excited when I found a breakfast casserole that could cook in the crock pot overnight!!  There is now no need to get up super early to put your pre-made, refrigerated overnight, takes more time to cook than you think because it's cold, breakfast casserole in the oven just in time to feed a hungry morning crowd.  Simply put all the ingredients together the night before, dump in the crock pot, and enjoy the smells coming from your kitchen when you wake up the next morning.



Recipe:
32 oz. bag of frozen hash brown potatoes
1 lb. sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 can green chilies
1 small can pimentos, drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
12 eggs
1 cup milk (I used whole)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Spray the inside of the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray, or use a crock pot liner (which, by the way, are wonderful!).   In a large skillet, cook sausage, breaking up so that there are sausage crumbles.  When it is almost all the way browned, add the onion and saute' a few minutes longer.  Add green chilies and pimentos to skillet.  Remove from heat.

Dump 1/3 of the potatoes into the bottom of the crock pot.  Top with 1/3 of the meat mixture, then 1/3 of the cheese.  Repeat the layers, ending with the cheese.

Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper, in a medium-sized bowl.  Pour over the ingredients in the crock pot.  Place the lid on top.  Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.  Serves 12

Source:  slightly adapted from Linda Larsen on Busy Cooks, About.com 

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! I'm definitely going to make this next time we have overnight guests. That way I can sleep in longer and still have a yummy breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really looks tasty! I should really think of using this to be more creative when I do have guests! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I've never tried breakfast casserole in my slow cooker. This is now on my need to make list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...I am signed up for Sunday school breakfast this week--looks like this is going to be on the menu! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do the green chilies and pimentos make it spicy? I was thinking of leaving the chilies or maybe both out. Would that make a big difference?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!