Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Oven Fried Chicken

Between having family visiting, parents helping out, and frozen meals made by my mom, I haven't really had to cook for the past two weeks.  However, feeling re-energized last night, I decided to make a family favorite: Oven Fried Chicken.  My husband LOVES this recipe, and now my girls devour it too.  If you're hesitant to cook recipes 'from scratch', this would be an easy one to start with.  If you follow the recipe closely, and set your timer, there's really no way to ruin it!  So, pull out some of those chicken breasts in your freezer, start thawing them, and enjoy this delicious dish!
Ingredients*:

1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 tablespoons of margarine (or butter)

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray (I started doing this after making this chicken a few times because the crumbs can sometimes stick to the pan.  If you don't mind spending extra time washing dishes, don't line your pan, but if you're like me and want to clean up quickly after dinner, line it with the foil).


3. Melt margarine in saucepan on medium low heat.
4. While this is melting, mix together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and seasoned salt; stir to combine.
The Kitchen Help

5. Using a sharp knife, butterfly fillet each breast and cut in half entirely (this will enable the chicken to cook more quickly and evenly).


6. Dip each breast fillet into the melted butter, then dip into the crumb mixture, coating the entire breast. Place each breast on the baking sheet.





7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.  (If you're unsure about whether or not they are done, just slice into one and check to make sure the meat is no longer pink).

One of the great things about this chicken is that you can serve it with any starchy side (potatoes, rice or pasta).  Just choose your favorite recipe from one of those starches, add a roasted veggie, and you have a meal!  Enjoy!

*This recipe would serve 4-6 people.  If you don't want to use 4 whole breasts, just adjust the recipe accordingly.  

3 comments:

  1. I love the recipe and I especially love the enthusiastic kitchen help! Can I borrow her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds yummy! i'm glad you had the energy to cook! you have such a good helper...i think i'd like to borrow her too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planning on making this tonight! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!