Saturday, October 5, 2013

Day 5 :: Practical Tips for Digging Deep



Digging Deep in the Word takes time and it's often our time that keeps us from doing it.

So, how do we make it happen?

1. Set a specific time each day to spend in Scripture reading.  It might be a different time each day for some, depending on your schedule, but don't let it pass.  For me, this means getting up early in the morning.  I'm a morning person and have been as long as I can remember!  It does get harder with babies and such.  Even when my babies are newborns, though, I try to maintain that time in the morning.  If I don't set this time aside as the first part of my day, it just doesn't happen for me.  You have to figure out what works best for you, but keep it consistent.

2. Make sure {as much as it depends on you} that you will be uninterrupted.  Again, for me this means getting up before the children do. However, there are some mornings when they are early risers.  They know to sit quietly by me on the couch, look at books, or play quietly until I'm finished.  We sometimes talk about what I'm reading, but most of the time they just sit and wait.  I remember seeing my mom spend time in the Word and it definitely made an impression on me.

3. Have a plan so you can maximize your time.  I have found that the most profitable Bible reading/study time for me has been by reading through one book of the Bible at a time.  I choose a book that I'll study, and then each day I read a few verses at a time, jotting down observations about the text, thoughts that come to mind, prayers, and some practical applications for my life.  Sometimes it takes me several months to go through one book, and other times it's pretty quick.  I try to alternate an Old Testament book and then a New Testament book.

4. Journal.  Journalling isn't for everyone, I realize that, but I challenge you to give it a try!  I started this when I was a freshman in college and I've been doing it ever since.  I begin my time each morning by writing down my thoughts and prayers, sort of clearing my head before reading that day.  It has been fun to go back and read my thoughts through the years.  This has been a great way for me to remember God's faithfulness as He has grown me through challenges and blessings throughout my life.

5. Don't get stuck in a rut.  As much of a creature of habit as I tend to be with most things in life, I've also found that I have to 'mix it up' a little bit every now and then.  Sometimes I take a respite from journalling, sometimes I do my ladies' Bible study in the mornings, and sometimes I also read snippets from other books based on biblical truth.

There are obviously many ways to dig deep, but I thought I'd just share some of the ways that have worked for me, even with young children around.  The bottom line is that you need to be spending time in God's Word and you need to find the best way that can work for you.


What practical tips can you share for digging deep?

For a list of all posts in this series go here.

1 comment:

  1. "Only From Scratch" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-sunday-drive.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!