Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 9: Spinach and Roasted Red Pepper Gratin

First of all, I apologize for not posting this yesterday.  We took an impromptu trip to visit my sister and brother-in-law, and by the time we were finished walking around town, eating dinner, wrangling our children into bed, and hanging out, I was asleep on the couch and decided that everyone would forgive me if I didn't post a recipe yesterday, and instead did two today.  Sorry!  Here is the recipe that I was planning to do yesterday, and you'll have to hold tight for the 2nd one later on today.

This recipe is one that I was served while living overseas a few years ago.  One of my co-workers there is an amazing cook and she introduced me to Bon Appetit magazine, which I have totally fallen in love with. I think this recipe originally came from the magazine, but I found it among her collection, so I'm not sure.  Regardless, it is delicious!  I wouldn't make it all the time, because the ingredients are a bit pricey, but it's definitely worth the occasional expense.



Several ingredients are vegetables that are technically part of the fall/winter harvest.  Spinach, leeks, and red peppers are all vegetables that tend to make a greater appearance in the colder weather.  What is a leek?  It looks like this



The flavor is wonderful, not quite like an onion, although it does grow underground, so you have to be careful to wash it thoroughly.  Roasted red peppers are probably one of my favorite 'secret' ingredients as they add a tremendous amount of flavor and color to a dish.

Without further ado, enjoy this tasty recipe.

Spinach and Roasted Red Pepper Gratin
Printable Version

2  9-ounce bags of fresh spinach leaves
1 jar of roasted red peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium leek
1 small shallot
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 eggs
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup swiss cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Saute spinach until bright green and wilted, 2 minutes per batch.

Before sauteeing

After being sauteed (it will shrink)


Transfer spinach to strainer and squeeze dry.

I placed a bowl on top of the spinach and pressed down on the bottom of the bowl 
Chop leeks and scallion.  They should look like the pictures below.




Remove 3/4 of the roasted red peppers from the jar and slice in 1/4-inch slices.




Melt oil and butter in a large pan (you can use the same one as for the spinach).  Add leek, shallot, and garlic.  Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Whisk cream and eggs in large bowl to blend.  Whisk in all cheeses, salt and pepper.  Stir in spinach, leek mixture and 2/3 of the roasted red pepper slices.



Preheat oven to 350F.  Generously butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.  Transfer spinach mixture to prepared dish.



Bake gratin until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.



Arrange remaining peppers on top and serve.


source: a friend's recipe collection

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! After seeing this post my MIL bought the ingredients at the store to make this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I better get cooking all of the recipes are starting to add up!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!