Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 7: Pumpkin Banana Muffins

My original recipe for today was going to be a dinner dish, but we've decided to go out with some friends, so that will have to wait for another day.  While I was looking around trying to figure out what to do, I noticed that some bananas were in my fruit bowl perfect for banana bread.  Banana bread isn't 'fall' enough for this series, so I googled pumpkin banana bread and was surprised to find quite a few different recipes.  I'll have to admit I was a bit skeptical at first, but when I took a bite of one, it was delicious!  The flavors blend well, with neither one overpowering the other.  The texture is kind of cakey and moist, which are both wonderful, in my opinion.


If you're looking for a new way to make pumpkin bread, then this is definitely for you!  Enjoy!

Pumpkin Banana Muffins
Printable Version

2 over ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line muffin tins with baking liners (you could also bake this in a 9x5-inch bread loaf pan) or spray with non-stick baking spray.  I also would add that if you use muffin liners, also spray those with non-stick baking spray so that your muffins don't stick to the liners.  I didn't have any, and they definitely stuck!

I picked up these cute liners at Michael's a few weeks ago

In a large bowl, mix together bananas, pumpkin, vegetable oil and eggs, until well combined.  



Add remaining ingredients and stir until moistened.  




Pour into muffin tins until 2/3 full.  



Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Makes about 14 muffins.  

source:  adapted from Rebecca Thinks



*These would probably be tasty with white chocolate chips added, pecans or walnuts, and you could even throw in some oats, flax seed or wheat germ for added health benefits.*  

1 comment:

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!