Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 3: French Lentil Stew

We love soups and stews in our home, but 100+ degree temperatures during the summer just don't allow for me to be in the kitchen cooking soup, let alone attempting to eat it.  I couldn't wait for the weather to cool down so I could try out some new soup recipes that I found.

Lentils are a great source of protein and are very cheap!  So, you can easily make this stew for a few dollars and feed your family with  a little bit leftover.  The original recipe did not include meat, so I just threw in some leftover Bratwurst and it added a nice touch.  My husband isn't too fond of meatless dinners, so I try to please him.   I'd recommend serving this with a crusty French baguette, and we even splurged this time and added some fine French cheese--definitely worth it!



French Lentil Soup
Printable Version

3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken broth (or you can use vegetable)
1 1/4 cups lentils, rinsed and drained
1 14 1/2- ounce can diced tomatoes, in juice
3 links smoked sausage, or Bratwurst (optional)*

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add onions, carrots and garlic; saute until vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes.  Add broth, lentils and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.

Transfer 2 cups soup (mostly solids) to blender and puree until smooth.  Return puree to soup in pan.  Season with salt and pepper.  If you prefer a thinner soup, you can add more broth at this point to thin it down.  

*If adding the sausage/bratwurst, dice the sausages and saute in a pan until slightly browned.  Add to the soup after returning the puree to the pot.  

source: adapted from Bon Appetit, December, 2006

7 comments:

  1. I definitely need to add this to my list of things to make. I've been looking for some really hearty but inexpensive dishes for a while now. This looks really yummy and perfect for cold weather nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had lentils but have heard they are really good for you. Time to give them the old college try! Soups are perfect crisp fall evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried lentils before. I know they're really healthy so I should probably get on with it. If there's crusty bread and french cheese I'm in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Thatnk you for sharing! :)

    I blog at "Only a Breath" and would love for you to stop by if you have time! I'm writing about "31 Days to Love Your Neighbor". It has been a very interesting journey to say the least! :)

    Have a great day!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I JUST bought some lentils to try to cook for the first time! I found a lentil soup recipe recommended on a pregnancy site since it was so high in protien. Your recipe appears to be very similar but maybe i'll just try yours since i know it should turn out great! :)

    P.S. confession: I make WAY too many soups! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you posted this recipe! We had lentil soup a few weeks ago at a Pakistani restaurant and my hubby has been asking me to find a good recipe. Anyway, I picked up some lentils from the bulk bin at Earth Fare yesterday then came home to find your recipe - what timing :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!