Saturday, July 9, 2011

A New Addition

Welcome to the family:




Yesterday, after much discussion and planning, we came home with a 12 week old St. Bernard puppy!  She is absolutely adorable!  We got our first dog 4 years ago, a Great Dane/St. Bernard mix and she was great.  But, when my husband joined the Navy, we weren't sure where we would be living and didn't want such a big dog in an apartment.  So, we had to give her away.  When we moved into our new home, which came with a fenced in yard, I knew that it wouldn't be too long before the hubby would want another dog.  I've never been really fond of dogs (I was attacked by one as a little girl, so I've always been afraid, even of the smallest dog!), but it's just one of those things that I had to compromise on in our marriage.  I kept putting off the inevitable, but I ran out of excuses and determined that there would never be a 'good' time for me to have a dog.  We had planned on a Lab or Retriever, but they were pretty expensive, and this full-blooded St. Bernard was free!   We went and looked at the puppies yesterday afternoon, and after talking with the owners, who have 2 full-grown Bernards, I was convinced.  They don't shed very much, they will not eat us out of house and home, they love kids and they're pretty gentle.  AND, we probably won't need to ever get an alarm system!  By the time our puppy is full-grown, she'll be sure to scare off anyone who might try to intrude.

Already she is following me around and I have to admit I like her.  She's like a big teddy bear, soft, cuddly and gentle.  

We have a problem though:  WE CAN'T CHOOSE A NAME!!

We need YOUR help!  Have any great ideas for a name for our new addition?  Feel free to comment if you do; we'll consider all options.  If we choose your suggestion, you receive....the satisfaction of knowing that you picked well!



Why wo

13 comments:

  1. Wow, so adorable! Congrats on your new pup. Don't know how original this name is, but I think she reminds me a little bit of a Sara. I'm sure that whatever name you do pick for her, it will suit her perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one now but she also looks like a Sophie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister has a St. Bernard named Sophie! I had a dog just like this when I was a little girl. She was a show dog. Beautiful, very gentle and extremely smart. I hope your girls will love yours as much as we loved ours! Her name was Duchess, by the way! :) (Is she long or short haired?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's adorable! I think she looks like a "Charlie." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops, that last comment was me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is he ever precious!!!!! Too cute...not great with girls dog names, as I have only owned males! My sister in law has a golden and named her Chloe which I think is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at that precious face! How could you not love her? Puppies are the best! (minuse cleaning up pee and poop!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet, looks like my pup when he was a baby:( We have a Bernese MTN. dog named Harold. LOVE her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is sooo cute!!! I can't wait to meet her! Caleb thinks you should name her Victoria and call her Vickie. I disagree. But as far as another suggestion I'm stumped. A really cute name because she looks so cuddly!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so funny that you posted this on Saturday because on Friday I made a post about the process I go through to name all the pet fish I've had. But I have two ideas:
    1) Patches - because the first thing I noticed about her were her eyes, and they have patches around them.
    2) Peaches - in honor of the great state you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so funny, Aimee, because I thought of those exact names for those very same reasons! I also suggested Dixie ( a St. Bernard in the South??) or Frances, and my other suggestion, Lauren, is now Missy. I know it's not the Swiss name you're looking for, but I thought of Swiss Miss hot chocolate and thought Missy would be suitable. She is very cute and has such characteristic coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. she is absolutely precious!! i have no name help but man oh man she looks sweet as sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! My boys say "Jesse" Have fun naming her.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!