Monday, August 20, 2012

Family Room Preview & Small Plans

Happy Monday!  Today I wanted to share with you some pictures of our Family Room, a spot that hasn't received much attention on this little blog.  I haven't done any major projects in here, and don't have any on the horizon, but thought it was time to show you how it's been shaping up and let you know some of the things I have planned.

Our sofa was purchased with a monetary gift when we got married and I love it; it's the most comfortable couch ever.  The color is not what I would choose at this stage of life, but I've tried to lighten it up a bit with some pillows and paint.  I'm not planning to get rid of this until it's absolutely unusable.  The pillows I made {with help from my MIL} in my pre-blog days, but I just copied some I had seen in a Pottery Barn magazine.  The blue ones and flowered one are all made out of Target tablecloths.


This chair was a gift from a friend who was moving across the country and needed to get rid of a piece of junk.  Again, it was pre-blog, but let's just say this little chair was gross.  After some new cushions, stain, fabric, and some work it was a new piece.



Our leather chair was a purchase when we moved into this home 18 months ago and it's my husband's relaxing spot.  We don't typically buy new furniture, yard sales and craigslist are our go to stores, but we had a coupon and this piece is a classic that will hopefully last a long time.



You can read about this end table here.  My gallery wall finally got put together a few months ago and the kids' pictures are soon to be replaced, already!  They grow up too fast!


The entertainment center was another purchase when we moved in; we wanted the TV to be surrounded.  I love this piece, but the shelves need to be organized better and some character added.


So, what is planned for this space?

This is my list:
1) Cover remaining 2 lampshades with linen or burlap.
2) Decorate the entertainment center.
3) Make a clock for above the entertainment center.
4) Paint the tall round end table.
5) Paint coffee table.
6) Make a tray for top of coffee table out of an old frame and some fabric.
7) Get some baskets for bottom shelves of the entertainment center to hold baby toys.
8) Paint the table in front of the fireplace {I purchased a sample of ASCP in Paris Grey}


These projects are yet to be done, but they shouldn't take long, and I have most of the supplies to do them.  Some things just take time, and that's okay!  Decorating a home is a process, especially on a small budget, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Our homes don't need to be magazine worthy.  I love what The Nester says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful."

Other posts about Family Room projects:



Linking to:
Thrifty Decor Chick

3 comments:

  1. so pretty! i feel like i could have written this post - we have blue walls with tan/brown furniture, and most of it was found second-hand or given to us, as well. lol! looks like a lovely place to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your family room! It's such a cozy room - and very welcoming. And I do have to agree that your couch is pretty phenomenal. It just sucks you in so you don't want to get up! Where did you get your entertainment center? That's exactly the kind I've had in mind and we're going to start looking seriously soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it will come out great as crafty as you are :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!