Monday, April 30, 2012

Framed Photos Matted with Burlap

My in-laws have a photo gallery wall in their stairwell that I have always loved!  Their life and ministry have taken them all over the world, so they have various pictures displayed of special places they've been.  Bradley and I haven't been able to travel extensively together in our almost 6 years of marriage, but we have traveled a little, so we decided to frame some of our favorite 'spots' and begin working on our stairwell.



I had some frames that a friend had given me, so I simply cut some burlap to the size of the frame, placed the picture in the center, and hung them on the wall!  Such a simple project that only cost me the price of printing out the pictures.

Photo from our honeymoon of Mayan Ruins in Belize

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA

Highway 1 in California {family vacation 2010}
If you don't have burlap lying around your house {like I do} it really isn't that expensive.  You can purchase it in most fabric stores--you'll find it with other utility fabrics.  I like the texture that it adds to the photos.  Right now I'm keeping the frames in their original stain, but I'd eventually like to paint them an heirloom white.  We have yet to paint the stairwell, foyer and hallways {mostly because of the high ceilings} so until then I am living with builder grade flat paint, which is a great collector for toddler fingerprints!


What simple projects have you completed lately?




7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've been able to do this! These pictures are amazing!! And I like the idea to add the burlap - it adds so much. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never thought about matting on burlap, but it looks great! I'll definitely be using this idea. And I did some simple cute gift wrapping this weekend, I'll be blogging about it tomorrow. Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cute--I like it! I'm curious, though, what you used to attach the photos to the burlap? Or did you just place it on top & put the glass over it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! You sure do know your way around some burlap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with burlap right now! This project is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also like to know how you attached the photos to the burlap. I'm doing a similar project and I would like to know the best way to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't attach it, actually. I just placed it very carefully where I wanted it and then put it into the frame. I'm guessing you could use a photo adhesive, but it would be hard with burlap being porous. I've also recently seen mats that are covered in burlap. So, if you wanted to buy a frame that came matted, you could cover the mat in burlap and then have your photo inside. Let me know what you come up with!

      Delete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!