Thursday, April 5, 2012

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream

Ice Cream has always been one of my favorite desserts.  In fact, I remember as a young girl laying in bed, hearing the clanking of metal spoons on glass bowls, getting angry that my parents were enjoying a nice bowl of Breyer's without me!  We registered for an ice cream maker when we got married, and we've thoroughly enjoyed it through the years.  With summer quickly approaching {maybe not for all of you, but here in GA, it's been in the high 80's!}, I thought it only appropriate to try out a new ice cream flavor.  Key Lime Pie is one of my favorite pie flavors, so this recipe sounded perfect to me.  It is quite tart, so I recommend eating it with some graham crackers, shortbread, or a piece of bitter chocolate.  The texture is really creamy and overall it's delightful.





Key Lime Pie Ice Cream

1 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk {a little more than 1 can}
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup lime juice {I used key lime juice}

Mix ingredients together and refrigerate until cold.  Pour into ice cream maker and mix for 12-15 minutes.  {Mine was still quite runny at this point, but it froze well, so don't be alarmed if yours does the same}.  Transfer to another container, cover, and freeze for several hours.  


source:  slightly adapted from Food Network







4 comments:

  1. Oh wow this sounds so refreshing! I was just telling Caleb last weekend that we need to make more ice cream! I've only made the vanilla so far. Now that it's turning summer here I want to busy out the ice cream maker and try new flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I had no idea how easy this could be! The only problem is I don't have an ice cream maker :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore key lime pie! I would love to try this! Your pics are pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of ice cream maker do you have?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!