Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Crispy Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies

I recently picked up a copy of a Food Network magazine at the grocery store.  What about it grabbed my attention?  It was the CHOCOLATE issue!  The front cover tantalized my taste buds and I couldn't wait to tear into it and discover some incredible chocolate recipes.  Near the center of the magazine I was delighted to find several different recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I have always made the classic recipe, printed on the back of bags of chocolate chips, so we've had fun over the past few weeks trying out some of these various recipes.  The one I'm posting today is our favorite so far.  The ingredients aren't too different from the standard, but they get baked at a higher temperature.  I'm not an expert on science in the kitchen, so I don't know why these turn out the way that they do, but the crispy edges and cakey middle provide the perfect textures for a delicious cookie.



Crispy Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Beat in the eggs, then beat in the vanilla.  Add the flour, salt and baking soda; beat until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.  bake until golden brown around the edges but still light in the center, about 8 minutes.  Removed from the oven and let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

source:  Food Network, March 2012

2 comments:

  1. What??? Your not supposed to be up grocery shopping, baking, and blogging... You should be resting. I mean, you just had a baby and that's super hard work.......I wonder how these would turn out with freshly milled wheat instead of all purpose flour?? The recipe book that I have for using freshly milled wheat doesn't have chocolate chip cookies in it.(!?!?!?!) I'll try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try all of the different chocolate chip cookie recipes in that FN magazine! I'm glad to know that these were good. I think freshly baked chocolate chip cookies would be a good addition to our new kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!