Friday, April 22, 2011

Egg Cup Flowers

I've never done much decorating around the house for Easter, but this year my sister, Sherri, inspired me.  First of all, I guess it never really dawned on me that the egg cup existed.  Sure, I  must have seen them somewhere, but it didn't resonate with me like other things have in the past.  When my sister posted this blog entry, it finally clicked.  These would be the perfect way to bring some Easter decor into our home, plus it would possibly be a practical item because my husband loves soft boiled eggs.  (I've never made him one, mind you, but maybe one day).

I was browsing through the aisles of TJMaxx one day when I spotted a package of 6 white egg cups.  Perfect.  They would go with any color decor and I could maybe even get creative and paint something on them.  For just $4.99 I had my set of egg cups.  

On Wednesday, Sherri posted this, her ideas for decorations with egg cups, which got me thinking.  I love all of her ideas, especially the candy one, but we're trying to not eat so many sweets around here, and I didn't want to copy her.  I saw someone else's idea of putting monkey grass into eggs.  So, when I was shopping this morning, I went to the garden section of Wal-Mart, and found the perfect thing.  The small packs of annual flowers come in sets of six, so I found some vincas that looked good (I had to search to find a pack with six nice blooms), and for $1.68 I had my egg cup flowers.  

Here's my finished product


I then took a painter's pen, and wrote names on each cup, so we can use them as place cards.  



I'm hoping that I'll even be able to plant these after the weekend is over, but I did have to cut some of the root balls in order to fit them in the cups.  Even if they don't make it into the ground, it was well worth less than $2 for a table decoration.  

1 comment:

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!