Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day 7 :: Avenue to Meet God



My children spent some time visiting with their Great Grandmother yesterday.  I've always been fascinated by her life.  She spent the majority of it serving the Lord in Africa as a missionary.  She's experienced joys and sorrows in life.  And, at 86 years of age, she has much wisdom to offer.

As she bounced Mason on her knee, she looked at me and said,

"How are you doing accepting this new situation in your life?"

I summarized as best I could, and shared how God is using it and how He is changing me, giving me a desire to know Jesus better.

She kept bouncing Mason, and smiling said,

"It's just an avenue to meet God."

We visited a bit longer, catching up, laughing, and remembering God's faithfulness.  I couldn't stop thinking about what she had said.

When we got home I looked up the definition of avenue.  Of course it is a type of street in a city. There were some other definitions that caught my attention:

- a means of access or attainment-

-a channel for pursuing a desired object-

Yes.  This is what is happening.   This journey we're on with our son, although hard, has given us a new way of meeting God.

How do we meet God?  We meet Him in His Word.  We meet Him in prayer.  We meet Him in worship.  

Do I look at the twists and turns in my life as roadblocks or as avenues?  Can I use the hard stuff to pursue God?  Certainly.  It's a choice I must make every day.


6 comments:

  1. A very wise woman indeed....one you know is praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! What a great post! Your Grandmother is truly a 'grand' lady! I love her perspective! So true! Thanks for sharing your heart with us! Such a precious little boy, so chubby and cute! Just like little boys should be! Payers and blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wise lady Grandma is! I love that thought - an avenue to meet God. I want to start thinking of hard circumstances, frustrations, difficult people, etc. in that light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love her. . . and you! Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love her. . . and you! Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!