Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing


This post is entirely credited to my wonderful husband!  My birthday is later this month {it's a big one} and Bradley is trying to make it really special for me.  He knows I love Caesar salad, so he scoured the internet for an amazing recipe, headed to the store for the needed supplies, and whipped up this awesome dressing.  We're going to keep tweaking it a bit here and there, but it really is delicious.  Some Caesar dressings have a really fishy taste, but this one contained the right balance {we thought}.




Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing {and Caesar Salad}

1 1/2 anchovy filets
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Romaine lettuce
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
croutons

In a food processor, chop the anchovy filets and garlic.  Add in the remaining ingredients until well combined.  Add more half and half, if desired, to thin out the dressing.  Store it in the fridge for about 3 hours before using, as this helps the flavors to blend.

*This dressing made enough for 6 individual salads. 

The Chef

We used this kind of anchovy filets.  They were less than $2.

This is what they look like, and don't fear, because they just smell a tad like tuna fish, not bad at all.




To finish off your salad, make some croutons!

In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.  Place a piece of bread on top and grill until golden.



Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan, and place bread in once more to toast the other side.


Cut into little squares to place on top of salad.



Break lettuce into bite-size pieces onto salad plate, top with croutons, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and dollops of Caesar dressing.



source: Food.com, Kittencal's Famous Caesar Salad

5 comments:

  1. Wow this looks like a perfect caesar salad! I've tried three different recipes and didn't like any of them. I think it's because I never want to use the anchovy fillets and everyone says that's what makes caesar dressing! I'll have to try this recipe, since you said it's not too fishy.

    p.s. so sweet of B to think about this and make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that's how you make caesar dressing! I just made my first balsamic vinaigrette dressing and had no idea how easy it is. Oooh a big birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hubs looks like he's enjoying a fun time in the kitchen! The salad and dressing looks delicious! I'll be asking hubs and son if they want me to make this for them as I'm not a ceasar salad kind of girl. Happy birthday this month! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you posted the recipe since it's on the menu for the Big Birthday Bash!! Thanks to B for his help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that I am in the middle of a 6 day juice fast! This looks DELISH, I will have to try it next week :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!