Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Linen Wrapped Lampshade with Matching Trim

When we registered for our wedding, we tried to be careful to register for items that weren't too trendy, so we could hang onto them for a long time.  The two matching lamps in our family room were such items, and I still love them!  However, because of the dog and our children, one of the lampshades was broken.  We used it broken for several months, but it was really starting to bother me.  Crooked lampshades are eye sores.  So, I looked at Goodwill every chance I got, but never found anything I liked.  Plus, having two lamps,  I needed matching shades to complete the look I was going for.

I finally decided to purchase plain white shades from Target because they were the style and size I wanted.  I knew they wouldn't stay that way, but it's taken me awhile to get around to sprucing them up.  Yesterday I finally tackled one of them and I love how it turned out!



Months ago I came across a tutorial for a lamp on Stephanie Lynn's blog, Under the Table and Dreaming.  I love the lamp she made and what caught my eye was the method for making trim for the lamp.  So, following her tutorial for the shade, here's how to do it.

Cut the fabric to size of the shade, with a little extra for mistakes. (I didn't realize that these were tapered drum shades until I got to this part.  It would have been much easier if they weren't tapered.  Oh well!).

{sorry no picture here, but I think you get the point}

Attach the fabric with adhesive spray, smoothing out the fabric as you go.



Use hot glue to create the seam of the fabric, folding the fabric over to give it a crisp look.

Here's where the genius part (in my opinion) comes in.  Use 5/8-inch stitch witchery to make the trim!  If you've never worked with this before it is wonderful and easy to use.  It fuses fabric together and is great for hems and other projects that you may not want to sew.  In fact, I used it for my linen drapes.

So, wrap the stitch witchery around the top and bottom of the shades to measure for length.  Then, cut a strip of fabric this long, and about 1 1/4 inches wide.  Place the stitch witchery in the center of the fabric strip, and then follow the manufacturer's directions to fuse.



Repeat this for both trims and then attach with hot glue around the edges of the shade.



Now, you have matching trim that for your lampshade that gives it a finished tailored look.





The fabric I used was a 1 3/4-yard linen remnant that I picked up for $1.75.



Don't forget to use always look for remnant fabrics when you're fabric shopping!  You never know what you might find!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice job! Looks quite professional! I have a few things that could use some of your sprucing up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lamp shade looks so good! I like the trim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific idea for the trim. The shade turned out beautifully. I like how the trim stands out when the lamp is lit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recovered a few shades not too long ago and oh how I wish I had seen this first!!! What a great idea.
    BTW, I've been using painters drop cloth for all kinds of things lately 'cause it's soooo cheap. It worked really good for one of my shades and gives a look similar to linen and burlap.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!