Friday, March 9, 2012

Spring Green Chicken Salad

Chicken salad sandwiches are one of my favorite lunches of all time.  I find them especially delicious served on a croissant, with a nice glass of sweet tea or lemonade.  A few weeks ago, while visiting my parents, Bradley and I had the opportunity to go out for lunch one day.  We visited one of my parents' favorite restaurants, and I ordered the soup/salad bar, which was amazing!  Not only did they have garden salad on the bar, but there were pasta salads, fruit/yogurt/granola, vegetable mixes, and a delicious chicken salad.  The chicken salad had green apples in it, something I hadn't seen before, and the taste and texture of the apples were wonderful.  So, of course, I had to figure out a way to copy it.  I call it 'Spring Green Chicken Salad' because the apples and celery are green, giving it a springy look.  And, if you serve it on a bed of romaine, as I did, you have more of that spring green.



Spring Green Chicken Salad


1/2 leftover cooked {grilled, broiled or roasted works fine} chicken breast
1/2 green apple, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise {more or less to taste}
salt and pepper to taste

Chop chicken into bite size pieces.  In a small bowl combine all ingredients.  Serve chilled on a bed of romaine lettuce or atop your favorite bread.

*You can easily adjust the portions to make a larger salad; I was the only adult in the house at lunch time this day, so only needed one portion.  Ignore the slightly browned apples in my photo, too; the 4 children I had that day required some extra attention while I was making my own lunch :) *

3 comments:

  1. apples in chicken salad sounds so good! I've been craving chicken salad all week! We had some croissants leftover from my croissant french toast and I was wishing I had some chicken salad to put on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken salad! Sometimes I'll add onion or grapes and it is definitely good on croissants. A lot of times they have the day old rotisserie chicken meat for sale at the grocery store chopped up for a good price. Lots of flavor and makes the prep a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to add a dash of worcestershire sauce, a bit of ginger, and a tsp of vinegar (I like white balsamic) to the mayo before adding it to the other ingredients. It sounds gross, but it makes a delicious chicken salad!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!