Several weeks ago I woke up one morning and decided we needed to purchase some fall crafting supplies. A few hours later, the girls and I were out the door to visit just about every craft store in town. I'm pleased to say that I didn't spend a ton of money, but did come home with some ideas and supplies for fall projects. One such project was a wreath for the front door.
You may remember this wreath that I made for 4th of July
In case you're new here, I simply wrapped some burlap around a foam wreath form and attached fabric rosettes with safety pins. You can read about it here. Since I had used safety pins instead of glue, I simply detached the rosettes and had a blank slate to work with.
I found some felt squares at JoAnn's in these shades
They aren't the traditional 'fall' colors, but I liked the blue with the pumpkin orange color, and since my home is decorated with a lot of blues, I wanted that to tie in with my front door decor.
I found a tutorial here for making felt flowers and followed the instructions. Basically, you cut a circle out of felt and continue to cut in a spiral form until you reach the end of the circle.
You end up with a long strand of felt and this becomes your flower.
The center of the flower should look like this
Gather the center in and then continue wrapping the felt around itself, tightly, to form a flower shape.
|this is the underside of the flower|
Once you reach the end it should look like this:
The great thing about these is that they don't have to be perfect. See that extra bit of felt sticking up? Well, once you finish the flower, you can simply cut off these imperfections to make it look better.
I used three different colors of felt and cut different sized circles (the bigger the circle the bigger the flower) until I had the amount I wanted.
Now for the glue gun! I placed a little bit of glue in random spots on the felt to make it hold together. Then, I cut a piece of felt big enough to cover the entire back of the flower.
Then, I applied some hot glue to the flower.
Pressing tightly, I attached the piece of felt to the back and trimmed it to size.
I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted the flowers to look, so I just placed them on top of the wreath until I found what I wanted, and then took a picture so I would remember.
As I was looking for some more glue sticks to finish the project, I came across some brown yarn, so I decided to use it as well. I just wrapped it around the wreath and sort of made an 'x' with it in different spots.
Instead of attaching the flowers with safety pins this time, I decided to go ahead and just glue them on. Hopefully I won't have the heat issue I did over the summer, which caused my wreath to fall apart.
Here it is on the door and I love it!
Not Just a Housewife
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Sweet Little Gals'