Thursday, August 4, 2011

Easy Fried Okra with a 'Kick'

Can you get more southern than some good ol' fried okra?  We've been enjoying the okra production from our garden this past month and so I'm trying to perfect my fried okra recipe.  It's been a big hit with everyone who's eaten it, so I thought I'd share my recipe with ya'll.  Traditionally you use corn meal but the first time Bradley brought okra in from the garden for me to cook, we didn't have any.  So, I decided to cook it like fried chicken, with flour.  And, that's how we've been doing it ever since!

Slice some okra--watch out it's slimy!



Dip the okra in beaten eggs.



Coat with a flour mixture.




Fry in some vegetable oil.



Eat up!




Recipe:
1 cup okra slices, approximately
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt (or more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon chili powder
Vegetable oil

Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat, in a large skillet.  It needs to be about 1/2-inch deep.  Dip okra slices in eggs, and drain any excess egg.  Coat okra with flour mixture.  Put in hot oil, turning once until golden brown, about 7 minutes.   Place okra on paper towel lined plate to remove any remaining oil and serve.

Just change your proportions according to the amount of okra you have.  And, if you run out mid-cooking, it's easy to just whip up some more of the flour mixture.  

6 comments:

  1. I guess I'm not a true southern girl until I've tried this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to make this! I love fried okra... just never really thought about making it!

    Tiffany {Living Savvy}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I'm really truly going to make this. I love fried okra! I have some frozen in my freezer so I have no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I LOVE fried Okra! I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looooove fried okra!! This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I LOVE okra, but i always just buy the frozen breaded kind. I've never had homemade okra!!! I really want to try this... Too bad Tim doesn't like okra :/

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!