Thursday, August 25, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

Now that everyone has started back to school, the rush is on to get kids out of bed, dressed, and fed before sending them out the door.  This recipe is great for something different to eat during the week that doesn't require a ton of work or time.  And, it's hearty and healthy!

When I lived overseas, at various times, boxed cereal was always very expensive, at least $5 for a small box, and usually Corn Flakes was the only kind available.  This oatmeal recipe became a favorite alternative, and we had it often.



Recipe:
Printable Version
4 cups of oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar or 1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 - 2 cups milk
dash of cinnamon, if desired

Mix all together and place in a pie pan or casserole dish.  Bake at 375F (190C) until firm, about 30 minutes.  Serve warm, with milk, if desired.



source: my Mom

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking abou this the past two weeks - so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you made this for us, my first day of 4th grade, 7 years later it is still a family favorite! - Aimee Knaus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a baked oatmeal recipe about 3 years ago and it is one of my favorite foods! I put apples, rasins or dried cranberries and serve it with fresh fruit. I can eat it anytime of the day! I will give yours a try and I will look for mine and share it with you too! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found your blog, Lauren, and this recipe looks awesome! can't wait to make it for the fam. oh man, i hear you on the box cereals ... i'm so sick of corn flakes i could puke!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!