Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

One Saturday, a couple weeks ago, the girls begged me to make some cookies.  I knew we were out of chocolate chips, my husband doesn't like peanut butter cookies, and the girls aren't too fond of oatmeal.  So, I quickly searched the pantry and my handy Old-Fashioned Cookies cookbook to see what we could create.  Based upon the ingredients I had on hand, we were able to make these yummy sandwich cookies.  Delicious, I tell you.  They aren't too sweet or too chocolaty, and the cookies have a cake-like texture which makes them especially yummy.



Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Printable Version


Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk

Filling
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 425F.  For cookies, stir together 2 cups flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

Beat 6 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar in large bowl until fluffy.  Beat in egg.  Add flour mixture and 1 cup milk.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased {or parchment lined} cookie sheets.

The dough is very cake-like, so don't be alarmed


 Bake about 7 minutes or until set.  Remove to wire racks to cool.

For filling, stir together 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoons flour in small saucepan over low heat.



Cook and stir until thick and bubbly; continue cooking 1 or 2 minutes more.  Cool slightly.  Beat 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar in small bowl until fluffy.


 Add cooled flour mixture and vanilla.


Beat until smooth.


* Note:  You may want to wear an apron, as the filling could splatter all over you, especially if you have a very pregnant belly :)


Spread filling on flat side of half the cooled cookies.




 Top with remaining cookies.



source:  Old-Fashioned Cookies

2 comments:

  1. I need to make sure not to read your posts before breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look yummy! I like the picture with your belly! :) Oh and nice plate, too ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!