Thursday, July 17, 2014

From the Kitchen :: Ice Cream Cake

What do you do when your baby is turning one and you're still unpacking boxes and finding your way around the kitchen?  First of all, you rejoice that Cow Appreciation Day is on her birthday, so no need to make a birthday feast.  Secondly, you stop packing on her birthday long enough to round up some pictures from her first year of life for a blog post and load up the kiddos for a morning at the beach.  Thirdly, you purchase the necessary ingredients from your local Target, because that's the closest store that has grocery carts which hold more than one child, and you make an ice cream cake that is most. definitely. not.from.scratch.


 Somewhere on my social media feeds I saw a picture of an ice cream cake made from ice cream sandwiches.  Genius.  No baking, no mixing, just put it together and make it look pretty, or kind of pretty.  One year old children only care about getting messy and eating sugar for the first time. {Except when it's your fourth child and they've been eating ice cream since they were five months old.  You first time parents, don't judge so fast}.



Seriously though, this cake was good.  And if I do it again, I'm going to doctor it up for my adult tastebuds.  Bits of toffee pieces between the layers, coffee ice cream, homemade fudge sauce, the possibilities are endless.  I even saw ice cream sandwiches that were banana flavored, if that's your thing.  I don't think banana flavoring should have ever been invented, but hey, whatever floats your boat. :)


Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
1 box ice cream sandwiches (my box had 12 sandwiches)
1/2 gallon ice cream, flavor of your choice, softened
8 oz. container Cool Whip, thawed
1 jar fudge sauce, warmed for easy drizzling
sprinkles



Line an 8x11 dish with saran wrap {this will keep the ice cream from sticking to the pan}, leaving enough as an overhang.  Line ice cream sandwiches along the bottom of the pan, breaking pieces of some in order to fill in the gaps.

Spread layer of softened ice cream over sandwiches.  Repeat layers.  Cover with saran wrap and freeze for about four hours.

Remove ice cream cake from saran wrap and place on a serving platter.  Spread Cool Whip over entire cake.  Drizzle with warmed fudge sauce and decorate with sprinkles.  Freeze for another two hours before serving.


2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of tweaking it for adult tastebuds! Coffee ice cream cake? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!