Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pineapple Mango Salsa

Are you looking for a healthy way to enjoy tacos?  This Pineapple Mango Salsa recipe is just the thing!  And, with warmer weather coming, the fresh flavors will make you feel like it's the middle of summer. In addition to the salsa recipe, I've also included a marinade I created for the grilled chicken tacos we made to go with this salsa. The marinade on the chicken was just perfect, and my husband said he would definitely serve this dish to guests.  That means it's a winner, in my book.

Enjoy!





Pineapple Mango Salsa
1 mango, diced
1 can pineapple chunks, diced {reserve juice for use in the marinade}
1/3 cup diced red pepper
5 green onions, sliced
1/2 cucumber, seeded and diced
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
dash of lemon juice
dash of sea salt

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate, covered,  for a couple of hours before using.  You can certainly add more cilantro, if you want more of a powerful cilantro flavor.


For the grilled chicken:

*I used two boneless skinless chicken breasts, and 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs.  This marinade recipe would certainly be plenty for up to 6 pieces of chicken.*


Pineapple Juice Marinade:
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice
1 teaspoon cumin
sea salt, about 1/2 teaspoon
pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/3 cup olive oil

In a medium bowl, or dish that you will use to marinate the chicken, combine vinegar, pineapple juice, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic.  Whisk until combined.  Slowly add the olive oil, and whisk.  Place chicken in marinade, cover, and chill for 2 hours, up to all day.

Grill chicken until done.  Serve grilled chicken and salsa with other taco toppings of your choice.  We used small flour tortillas, sour cream, and cheese.  These are also delicious served in a leaf of romaine lettuce in place of the flour tortilla.


This salsa would also be perfect served with fish!

1 comment:

  1. I end up making some sort of Mexican about once a week, so this will be perfect to add into my rotation! I am getting SO excited about the nicer weather, grilling outside, and using more fresh veggies/fruits. Pinned this so I will remember!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!