Monday, November 19, 2012

Apple-Pear Crispler

Earlier in the fall, I decided to do some research on fruit desserts.  There are crisps, cobblers, pies, buckles, crumbles, and probably more.  I was curious as to what defined the difference between these, especially a cobbler and a crisp.  The basic difference is that a crisp has a topping that consists of flour, sugar, butter, and an egg.  A cobbler's topping is basically like a biscuit that becomes a little puffy while baking, and there is no egg.


I wanted to try to combine a cobbler and a crisp {which is why this is called a 'Crispler'}, and I liked what I came up with.



This is easy to make for last minute company, or just for a weeknight family dessert.  It's best served warm with some vanilla ice cream.  Or, if you're like my dad, you can serve it warm, with ice cream, for breakfast, and try to convince your children that you're eating oatmeal {yes, he really did that when we were little}.

Happy Thanksgiving Week!

Apple-Pear Crispler

2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced thin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons sugar

Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted

Mix fruit with cinnamon and sugar and place sliced fruit into a buttered 8x8-inch baking dish.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and sugar.  Stir in melted butter to combine.  Using fingers, place clumps of topping mixture on top of fruit to cover.  Bake at 375F for about 30 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered what the difference between those is! I think the crisps are what I like better :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!